Wednesday, July 13, 2011

"what is left over after the education stops?"

My mind is still reflecting on Italy much of the day. I look back at my photos frequently and they stir up thoughts of class lectures and discussions as well as the face-to-face with art, architecture, and stories embodied in our many outings. The readings done before arriving in Europe were animated by the experiences and re-reading those same documents now evokes a frequent “aha!”
One of the more interesting refrains in my thoughts is the diverse possibility of rhetoric which is included in “the discovery of all available means of persuasion” (Caputo). Rhetoric is usually assumed to reside within the confines of public speaking. We “met” some incredible rhetors in our two weeks (including Paul Savonarola). But to take rhetoric beyond this was a new concept for me and I think it serves to enhance mindfulness of what is happening in my environment as I begin to see meaning and influence embodied in artifact. We were immersed in these visual rhetorical artifacts in Rome and Florence: Cosimo’s turtles, family crests, the Vatican, paintings, domes, bridges….all containers of ideas and meaning and purpose. As a visual artist and art instructor, I find this adds credibility and depth to what I seek to create and teach.
The final day in Florence I experienced a kind of sensory overload. I remember sitting in La Lampara with Deb on our last day. We had just eaten an amazing lunch and had a glass or two of wine and knew we had a pretty long hike to the Galileo Museum. I admitted to her that I would much rather stay and talk or go back to the room. It was not that I was disinterested, but maybe feeling in my emotions like my stomach was feeling at the moment….really stuffed.
I imagine Renaissance Florence provided a concentration of creativity and new ideas. As it was then, so now. I returned to the states with stops in New York, Michigan, and South Carolina before coming home to New Mexico. In these travels and at home I occasionally notice architectural and art “wanabees”….reflections of the originals in architecture and art that I never before realized were not original….never really thought about it at all. The impact of coffee table books come to life in Florence was huge for me. The concerns of my real life back home faded as I found myself each day waking up to something exciting and forming. The seven Da Vincian principles and the lectures revolving around them still find place in my daily journaling. The rhetoric of Machiavelli, Savanarola, Catherine, and Dante find application in my thinking and conversations.  I think that these personal experiences may reflect somewhat the response of Florentines to the “no limits” creative life in this city at this dynamic juncture in history.
Is there one single image that burns bright in my mind from this time in Rome and Florence?  That is a difficult question. As a painter, this question reminds me of “what’s your favorite color”….and for me it has always been impossible to play favorites with my palette. If I were to reflect on an image(s) that burns bright in my mind from this time in Florence/Rome , several pop into mind: The Sistine Chapel,  David, The Prisoners of Michelangelo, Bartolini’s Nymph and the Scorpion, The Duomo, The Coliseum, and  St. Peter’s Basilica. But if I answer the question tomorrow, it may be a new set of images…..the Market in Florence was incredible.
In the final analysis, we want to see our knowledge of the function of rhetoric realized in practical application. A dynamic vision for an organization, a community, a family, or a relationship warrants the “discovery of all means of persuasion.” Knowledge of the extent and potency inherent in the various forms of rhetoric must be joined with mindfulness and intentionality on the part of leaders in order to effect transformation.



This post is a response to Dr. Caputo's question (and title of this post) on a Gonzaga COML Blackboard discussion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment