Saturday, February 19, 2011

the way we do things....

 
" We have the power and freedom to use communication to create the social worlds we desire." Katherine Miller  
       Katherine Miller discusses the constraining power of communication and its almost diabolical (my adjective) tendency toward calcification. In my 27 year experience in a non-profit organization, I have seen creative risk, personal growth and helpful organizational progress blocked because of communication constructed and then carefully protected from the threat of change. "The way we do things","the proper channels", and "red tape" are telling statements that illustrate a kind of "communcation" that is resistant to change and deadening to effective interaction. ( In evangelical lyric: “I shall not be, I shall not be moved”).

No comments:

Post a Comment