Sunday, June 5, 2011

art in its context

A few days ago I sat on a bench below and at the backside of Michelangelo's David in the Accademia in Florence. It was a reverential and even contemplative experience...I elected it to be such. Not everyone enters that spiritual sphere when looking at notable works of art. I think we must be intentional or find ourselves moving with the crowds in a shallow viewing and a token acknowledgment of amazement as we head to the bookstore to buy a postcard.


In class we had discussion about the ways of seeing art in its context vs. outside its context. It seemed that the general consensus is that it is indeed a good thing.. more accurate and confirming..to view art in the place in was created to be..."The Creation" on the ceiling of the Sistine is in the context of a huge ceiling with similar forms and involves the physical act of looking upward to see it (empathy for all of his looking up in painting it). It is set in the atmosphere of reverence of the church. The idea is that putting that painting on a T-shirt alters the experience intended by the artist. It most certainly does. But beyond this truth is the fact that it is and will continually be replicated.


As I walk down the streets of Florence I see lots of Davids. There are keychain Davids, postcard Davids, plastic Davids in different sizes, color book Davids, books about David, magnet Davids, coffee cup Davids, and T-shirt Davids. As  a kid, I probably first saw David in a coffee table art book in my home. I have to wonder if my appreciation of David in the "flesh" is enhanced by my history with David on paper.


Not everyone elects to see or is able to come to Florence. Seeing David in Florence is an exclusive privelege. The rest of the world sees him in a foreign context...beauty spread abroad. Growing up my mom exposed us to good art by renting paintings from the library and changing them out regularly.  I have often wondered how much her efforts worked toward planting in me a hunger for beauty....even eventually a desire to come to Florence to see some of those very works in their context.

1 comment:

  1. I was just reading about Nouwen's experience of sitting with Rembrandt's painting of the Prodigal's return...
    Remembering the time I was able to sit with Monet's water lilies in KC...and the slowness of walking through the Getty Museum in LA...

    But I love, love, love what you say here about seeing a work of art in the place of it's creation. Something about the landscape, the culture...the environment that was part of the work's crucible. Love this.

    Makes me wonder about the place of art in communication and the role of "place" in the formation of a person's story...


    You're brilliant.

    ReplyDelete